2013-01-16

Pottery lamp



First snow in my area yesterday!!
But it was a special National Holiday, Coming-of Age Day yesterday(14th) in Japan. To celebrate their 20th, young people wear a traditional Japanese Kimono. They woke up early, had their hair set and was dressed up. It must have a hard time for them to walk in this snow in kimono with a pair of special shoes, Zori.

It was sunny today but snow was still remained. I went to a pottery class. The school will have a pottery show at the end of March. Students are making items for the show. I'm one of them. I'm making several items and today I made a lamp but it isn't finished yet.

 
 
 
Last week, I made this sphere. Beautiful sphere!! There is a secret weapon to make the perfect one, which is a plastic semi-sphere. A piece of clay sheet cover the semi-sphere and when it is dry, the plastic one is removed. I make 2 of them. Then they are put together in the middle. Of course, I needed help.  
 
 

 
 
The bottom part was cut for putting a light bulb. Empty inside!!
 
 

 
 
Then I started cutting patterns.
 
 

 
 
This was my 2nd time to cut patterns. Last time, I did all by hand and my fingers were numbed.  This one was bigger than the first one. So I decided to use another secret weapon!!
 
 

 
 
Electrically-powered drill!! It became much easier to make holes!!!!
 
 



 
 
My fingers were never numbed this time! And it was FUN!!!! After 4-hours cutting patterns, I competed today's work!!
 
 

 
 
Yayyyy!! Beautiful!!!!
The white one was the first lamp after being fired once in a kiln. Then it will be burned again after being glazed. Then finally it will be completed!!
Today's one will follow the same procedure. What colour will I use for them??
I'll show you when they are completed!!! Can't wait!!!!!
 
 
Since I like to start many things and make things in some shapes this year, I won't be able to update this blog like previous years. Although I don't update, don't worry, I'll be alright. If you know my full name, please find me on Facebook. I may be a little more active there.
 
Let's make this year fruitful!!!!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment